Mongolian’s friendly and down-to-earth people will be one of the things you treasure most about your visit.

According to National Statistic office of Mongolia: Mongolia has 3.177899 people. There are over 20 different ethnic groups in Mongolia. Ethnic Mongols account for about 97% of the population and consist of Khalkh and other groups, all distinguished primarily by dialects of the Mongolian language. The Khalkhs make up 86% of the ethnic Mongol population. The remaining 14% include Oirats, Buryats and others. Ethnic distinctions among the Mongol subgroups are relatively minor. Language or tribal differences are not a political or social issue.

Significant ethnic Turkic speaker Kazakhs constitute 3.9% of Mongolia’s population. Khotons and Chantuu are Mongolized people with Turkic origin and speak in Mongolian.

Reindeer tribes- Tsaatan or Dukha

Reindeer people who claim themselves Uighar reside in a forest by the lake. They migrate seasonally following their reindeer pastureland like herders. Reindeer people are ethnic minority who has their own language, tradition, religion and special way of life. They practice shamanism and their mode of life involves herding reindeer, benefiting from it and hunting games. These people live in a coldness of minus 31-50 degrees.

Trainers of Golden Eagle-Mongolian Kazakh people

Kazakh nomads have lived in the mountains and valleys of western Mongolia with their herds since the 19th century. They represent some 4% of the total Mongol population. The Kazakh culture differs in several ways from the Mongol culture. Traditionally the Mongolian Kazakhs are Muslims. One of their interesting tradition among Kazakh is they use golden eagle and falcons for their hunting. During winter months they take their Golden Eagles out to hunt for small animals for fur and meat. In the beginning of October, hunters from all over Bayan Ulgii province gather to celebrate this traditional skill and compete against each other challenges that show off the abilities of both birds and their trainers. Prizes are awarded for the fastest eagle, the best traditional Kazakh dress and more.

Get Updates & More

Thoughtful thoughts to your inbox